Duration: 3 months
Requirements: Enthusiastic, independent, has initiative and an interest in ecology and conservation
Conservation Ecology Research Assistant role summary – The Auckland University of Technology have an opportunity to add a Conservation Ecology Research Assistant to their team.
This is a rare opportunity for someone who has an interest in ecology and would like to gain some hands on experience. We would love to hear from interested applicants who are passionate and are interested in ecology.
- Company Name: Auckland University of Technology
- Website: www.aut.ac.nz
- Number of employees: 1-4
- Paid internship: Unpaid
- Contract Type: Intern
About the Organisation and Ecology Research Project
The aim of the project is investigating seabird nutrient influences on island plant communities in New Zealand. Understanding how seabirds affect their island habitats provides useful insight on how seabird populations and island biota are recovering following conservation actions, like predator removal.
You will gain ecological knowledge of island ecosystems, experience some unique and wonderful parts of New Zealand (remote islands that are restricted to scientific research), gain lab experience and analytical skills, and learn literature review and data management skills.
The role is based in Auckland. Accommodation and transport is not included. The length of the Conservation Ecology Research Assistant internship is negotiable but the role will last a minimum of 6 weeks.
Conservation Ecology Research Assistant Responsibilities
- Field assistance: Running around islands collecting dirt and leaves (must be comfortable rock hopping, on boats and swimming in the ocean, living for a few days without the conveniences of the city- i.e. no internet/shower/flushable toilet). Fieldwork is not guaranteed, depending on the length of time/season that the internship is fulfilled.
- Lab work: A wide variety of tasks including sample preparation and handling, analysis and data entry.
- Literature search: Critical analysis of peer reviewed literature and data mining. The applicant must be comfortable with excel.
Internship Role Requirements
- Enthusiastic, independent (comfortable working alone), has initiative and an interest in ecology and conservation, a degree of physical fitness.
- No other experience required.